Wednesday, June 5, 2013

So Much For Sleep...

Well, you gotta love the pager when it goes off in the middle of the night.  My FF is off and rolling on a structure fire in Hideaway (a small community North of our district).  It was an automatic box call (where they page out the department in which district the call is in, and the 2 closest neighboring departments) with Lindale being the primary on the call.  We had only been in bed and asleep for maybe an hour and a half.  This will likely be at least a two hour call...if not longer.  My FF and I have to be up at 5a for a job out of town (our normal job...computers).  At least there are sevral guys from all the departments responding.  That makes me feel better.  Lindale is now on scene and reporting it is indeed a working structure fire.  OH JOY.  I never sleep when he is on a structure fire.  Especially after losing the 4 in Houston.  It makes it all too real.  I always make sure to kiss him and tell him I love him before he leaves on any call, but especially with all the LODDs (Line of Duty Deaths) Texas has had lately.  So I told him as he left, "Please be careful, baby!"  His response, "I always am!  Don't worry!  I'm turning the scanner on for you."  A couple more I love yous and he leaves.  *sigh*

I hate hearing that he is rolling a 1 man crew.  He is driving Brush 2 (out of station 2).  His department (station 1) is also rolling Engine 1 with a 6 man crew, so he isn't alone, thank God.  Now, I start saying prayers for the safety of all the firemen from all 3 departments and of course for the family whose home is burning.  Lord keep them all safe! 

Lindale is asking for more man power on the front lines.  It must be a "good one".  That poor family.  Now they are telling Attack Team 1 to back out.  That isn't good.  *sigh*  I didn't used to worry as much, but here lately with all the LODDs, I just can't seem to help it.  I can hear the "excitement" in the guys voices.  I know  their adrenaline is rushing big time.  I'm glad that they are paying attention...but I'm sure all firefighters in TX are after all the LODDs in the last few months.  I always wonder how many other wives stay awake and listen to the scanner so they know what's going on.  I know I'm not the only one.  I can't be.  With all our departments being mostly volunteer, I can't imagine any of the wives sleeping through a structure fire here lately.  I guess I could be wrong, though.

I wonder what job my FF has on this structure?  I hope he is getting some good hose time.  It sounds like they need as many on the front line as they can get.  That will make him happy that he got to "play".  He hates going on calls like this and not getting to do anything.  He was born to be a firefighter and an EMT.  It's just who he is.  I love that about him.

Other than the guys running accountability and the head of the 2 attack teams, I'm not hearing much, now.  I know they are having a hard time on Attack Team 2 (in the back yard) trying to keep it out of the trees and off the other houses.  Every now and then, I hear someone ask for fresh guys.  It must be a really hot one.  I know suited up with SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus) they can only breath that air for about 20 minutes.  Attack Team 2 is pulling out to rehab.  I almost wish I was there so I could see, but I know better.  That would be especially hard to just sit back and do nothing.  Unfortunately, I can't ever be a firefighter or even on scene as support on a fire.  I'm allergic to the foam they use to suppress the fire.  Yeah, that would be bad.  So, I get to sit at home and worry, pray, and listen to the scanner.  Such is the life of the Fire Wife.

Wow...while everyone is on the Hideaway fire, Red Springs (another neighboring department we are on mutual aid with) got a structure fire, too!  I wonder if any of our guys are going to peel off to go to the new fire?  Talk about stretching resources!!!  Apparently, tonight gonna be crazy!  Is it a full moon?????  Geesh!  Nope!  They paged out another department because our guys are tied up at the other fire.  Let's hope the other department has a good response of man power and can get there pretty quick.  Well, Red Springs got there and cancelled everyone.  I'm guessing it was a bad blower motor in the A/C.  That will smoke up a house pretty good.  I'm glad it turned out to be nothing!  Now I just wish our guys would clear Hideaway and come home.  I'm so sleepy!!  It's 4a, now.  I started this entry at midnight 45.  UGH!  Tomorrow is going to SUCK!

They finally cleared!  All is well, and my fireman is on his way home.  4 hours on that one...ouch!!  Thank you, Lord for keeping them ALL safe!

~Sparkles

No comments:

Post a Comment